Merit Construction, Inc. is an award-winning Knoxville based General Construction firm with 39 years of experience. We currently have a full-time opening for a Project Manager.
The position requirements include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following: Responsible for the overall management of all aspects of multiple projects and has primary responsibility and accountability for the financial, schedule, quality and safety objectives of the projects under their management. Primary responsibilities include contract administration, scheduling, planning, cost control and coordination with jobsite supervision to ensure that projects are constructed safely in accordance with design, budget, and schedule. Coordinates with Superintendent regarding schedule, labor, equipment, subcontractors, material suppliers and construction means and methods to achieve efficiency and cost effectiveness. Also responsible for building effective relationships and problem solving with the project team members, owners, subcontractors and vendors.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Estimating– Prepare bid invitations and solicit bids from vendors. Interpret specifications, designs and drawings and prepare quantity takeoffs. Identify risks associated with prospective project and develop a plan to mitigate risks. Prepare estimates and submit bids. Conduct constructability reviews of plans and specs. Develop value engineering costs when requested. Attend pre-bid meetings.
- Project Planning and Management – Set up project budget. Negotiate, buy out, and write subcontracts and purchase orders. Order materials and schedule deliveries. Develop and maintain project schedule. Coordinate with Project Superintendent to manage labor, equipment, subcontracts and material suppliers. Review subcontracts and purchase orders with Superintendent. Lead project progress meetings. Closeout project in a timely manner.
- Safety – Manage construction task with Superintendent so that they are performed safely while meeting the budget, schedule, quality standards and design specifications. Work with the Safety Director to correct deficiencies identified in safety inspections.
- Quality Control – Manage the submittal review process to support the project schedule. Manage the coordination of work being done by different subcontractors to resolve conflicts and avoid re-work. Regularly review in place construction for compliance with the plans, specs, & level of quality expected. Manage the RFI process to support the project schedule.
Ensure that the work is being built to the most up to date drawings, specs., addendum, standards, etc. Ensure timely distribution of revisions to the construction documents to subcontractors & suppliers. Develop and maintain a clear understanding of the specifications, drawings, standards, and subcontractor & supplier scope of work, etc.
- Budget Control – Prepare & submit monthly pay applications. Follow up on and collect receivables within the time frame established in the contract with the owner. Distribute changes initiated by the owner or architect. Give the owner a timely response to changes. Obtain approvals of changes prior to beginning changed work to avoid delays to the project. Thoroughly review change request pricing from vendors for accuracy and fairness prior to submitting a change request for owner approval. Approve invoices from vendors. Continuously monitor project cost and prepare monthly cost to complete reports for executive management. Verify work-in-place quantities.
Analyze the equipment use on projects (purchase vs. rental).
- Communication – Effective written and oral communication skills are essential to the position. Prompt response to owners, designers, subcontractors, suppliers and other project stakeholders is required.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Preferably a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited construction or civil engineering program.
- Preferred Experience: 5 years of related experience.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency using Excel, Word, project management and scheduling software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, subcontractors and office staff.
- Use required office equipment proficiently; plan and organize work effectively; analyze problems, propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, and follow-up with feedback where appropriate.
- LEED Accreditation, a plus
Merit Construction offers comprehensive benefits including health insurance, Paid Time Off and paid holidays, as well as 401(k). E.O.E. and TN Drug-Free Workplace.
Interested candidates should reply with resume and note salary requirements.
***No phone calls please.***
Job Type: Full-time